Saturday, May 24, 2014

Hemp, Cannabis, Marijuana Whats All The Confusion?


A little plant sure can cause a lot fuss, it is a hot button topic for me.
 - Medical Marijuana-
Why? Whats the big deal? This plant, can save and change lives just as quickly as it can destroy lives. My heart dropped to my feet when I read the bill proposed by Pat McElraft; "Hope for Haley and friends" As I sat on my sofa reading I felt sicker and sicker. The bill looks to be nothing more than creating a registry for people that are using Hemp Oil, costing money and forcing patients to see doctors at one of the three major universities.

Certainly I am not an idiot, I get that it will allow some patients to have access to Charlottes Web. How many and at what cost? How long will they have to wait? and Who is getting left out? Why be so exclusionary? What about the people that Charlottes Web doesn't help, what about the people that need more? - are a select few the only patients that matter? The few cute little kids with parents telling sad stories- are they the only ones with lives that society should care about?

I got flames thrown at me on FB recently because I raised a few questions and encouraged others to not just listen to what they were being told but to read the bills and ask questions; I learned a long time ago to never take anything at face value. Each person has an agenda, it isn't always bad, but it is an agenda none-the-less. I have read both bills; Hope 4 Haley and friends as well as House Bill 1120.

What is my agenda? I want to have access to medical marijuana; unselfishly, for not only my daughter but the many others that could have their lives changed by this little plant. When I stand up and it is rarely for just myself. We are in an ocean, not a fishbowl. Rainbow fish was much better off at the end of the story when all the fish that needed a shimming scale had one too. This is a situation truly about the greatest good for the greatest number.

Language is important, words are powerful. Recently I had a conversation with Heather Riley about the power of the words we speak. They can make or break a situation. Calling a product by the proper name is important. Using the term "Hemp" to satisfy a group of republicans that may get their panties in a wad over the term "Marijuana" is not beneficial to anyone. There is a difference. Hope 4 Haley and Friends defines Hemp very well, as Hemp. Because the product being discussed is hemp oil. There is no new definition allowing more THC in this hemp oil as there was talk about it being redefined in the bill. Hemp, by definition is less than .3% THC).  Simply put, it is the difference in the levels of THC in the plants that defines hemp and Marijuana. Placation, is not better than education.

 There are a lot of great sites to explain the difference, including the history of  hemp..  Hemp is an amazing resource used in a variety of products, not just the amazing oil we are now aware of and all desperate to get. My favorite purse and make up bag are both made from hemp. My girls once loved to make jewelry from hemp. Of course there is the potential for fuel.  
I agree that there is a need for hemp growth in the US, and in NC. I also strongly feel that there is a need to have medical marijuana as there are patients who benefit from this as well.

I  have an issue with recreational use of any drug, I have seen lives destroyed by addiction.. There are people who are prone to addiction so any substance will be a problem for those people. While others will never have a desire to try anything, or have the ability to do something once, or even in moderation (like social drinking)  So waging a war on marijuana is a little silly at the end of the day when prescription medications, which are tightly (supposed to be anyway) controlled are among the most abused substances there are. (reference) Tobacco which is lower on the totem pole is an addictive substance and can cause financial devastation when people chose their habit over their bills. In reality anything, from drugs to fast food is addictive and can be destructive. Anything with the potential for good humans can and will use to their own demise.


When it  comes down to it what I think doesn't matter in the big picture, not really. What I have to say is unimportant. My opinion is meaningless. It is the facts that matter. I can tell you what I think;  I usually do don't I?  I want everyone that lives in NC (or cares about this subject in the state) to read both of these proposed bills. NC is a conservative state, I agree. This is a progressive matter, when you talk about cannabis, or hemp, or marijuana it is not something conservative. So to say that one of these bills is more conservative and is more likely to pass- it is not being bought by this individual. I am, for those that don't know me personally one of the most conservative minded people around. I do not have cable, listen to the radio unless there is some one else in the car, I have very conservative view and tend to find myself horrified at a lot of things I see and hear around me. I do not associate myself with any political party, I listen to people and follow issues... I have read both of these bills several times. When I read HB1120 I see a more detailed description of what should take place. I see protections for families that chose this treatment and I see action. I also see no limitations as to who your medical providers are. I see more people that have needs getting those needs met. I see research demanded and funding appropriated for it. There is freedom of choice which is a right we should all have under these circumstances.

Again, I will say only this- read the bills.. understand not just what they say but what they mean for you and your family. Understand what hemp oil is, understand medical marijuana-Understand what is and is not currently available- look at the big picture. There is more I could say, there is a lot I chose not to say. I have spoke with a representative from a company based in CO and felt confident when my thoughts were confirmed. So, again, do your research learn and decided.

5 comments:

  1. A little girl I know takes it in a pill form. She has pain from 5 organ transplants.She gets almost instant pain relief. The only thing I'd be a little concerned about with your daughter is, the girl I know sometimes gets a bit dizzy. I'm with you. Very conservative. But, if you have exhausted everything else pretty much, it doesn't hurt to try something that may help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being "a little" dizzy is very slight in comparison to the sometimes severe side effects we have dealt with in the past. She is currently taking two medications that I had to sign a waiver just to get the prescription for. One of those medications I had to acknowledge legal understanding the medication could kill her but the benefits out weighed the risks. Simply put, her disease was more likely to cause her death than the medication. The second medication required a signature stated I understood she could lose peripheral vision, but again that I understood the benefits outweighed the risk. Her disease could take her life.
    When people look at side effects they get very caught up in them with out really thinking about the disease they are treating. There is always a risk benefit that must be weighed. There is a mom that drives me crazy constantly posting all the possible side effects- the disease our kids have is worse than indigestion and reflux caused by a seizure medication. My daughter has been on life support because of seizures. If a medication causes indigestion and we have to give another medication to control that it is certainly better than seizures, even if there isn't complete seizure control- some is better than none. You have to slow down and think.. risk v/s benefit. Even more so we have to rust our doctors and when we are uncertain we have to ask questions. If you do not trust your doctor ask yourself why not? Ask questions, ask the doctor to help you understand. That is what they are there for. At the end of the day, they really do know more than we do. Google has empowered people, but it has also given a lot of people a false sense of "Me,MD" as well. which in the long run is dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughts of legalizing cannabis have managed to exasperate a calming line between medicinal and recreational use. In my opinion, the recreational use of the drug is what people fear most when it does get legalized. The bills have been proposed, but the results of whether they'll let it pass should take another few years or so. It's a difficult matter to settle because it's something that the government can't control once it has been legalized. In any case, that was a great read, Denae! Thanks for sharing! All the best to you! :)

    Arthur Andreas @ KushGo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately you are right, I am certain NC will be one of the last states to pass any kind of bill to legalize Marijuana. Over the months as I have done more and more research I have come to the conclusion that (and I know I will be stoned for saying it) the only way to legitimize the medicinal use of this drug is to have a pharmaceutical company take it on. Fortunately for us there are a couple of companies that have done just that with the hemp oils. Currently the medication is only used for certain catastrophic epilepsies but it is on the horizon for all uncontrolled epilepsy. Although I think a very serious discussion should take place about WHY some epilepsy is really uncontrolled.. thoughts for another day..

      Delete
  4. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging, cbd vape juice

    ReplyDelete